Grant Services - Advice and Tips

Homelessness Grant Opportunities and Resources

Wed, Nov 14, 2012 @ 21:11 PM / by Alisyn Franzen

The Grant Helpers is here to help you obtain more funding so that you can meet your organization’s goals. So, when we come across great funding opportunities, we like to share those opportunities with you. In this blog article, we highlight some opportunities for homelessness assistance grants. We can help find more opportunities, develop a proposal, provide strategic advice – whatever steps of the process where we can help you most. Contact a grant expert if you have any questions or would like assistance.

 

Emergency Solutions Grants (ESG) Program

The United States Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) sponsors the ESG Program, which replaced the Emergency Shelter Grants program. The ESG program makes grant funds available for assisting individuals and families to regain housing stability after experiencing a housing crisis. Grants are awarded to state governments, large cities, urban counties, and U.S. territories, which then make the funds available to subrecipients. Therefore, if an organization is interested in receiving homeless assistance funds, it needs to apply to a HUD-funded governing body, not directly to HUD itself.

Five program components are eligible to receive funding: street outreach, emergency shelter, homelessness prevention, rapid re-housing assistance, and data collection through the Homeless Management Information System (HMIS).

Learn more here.

Deadline to apply: depends on funded government body 

US Department of Housing and Urban Development’s Continuum of Care Program

Homeless GrantsHUD’s Homelessness Resource Exchange offers the Continuum of Care (CoC) Program. The current round of funding opened on November 9, 2012, and will close at 7:59 pm EST on January 18, 2013.  According to the CoC’s webpage, “The CoC program is designed to assist individuals (including unaccompanied youth) and families experiencing homelessness and to provide the services needed to help such individuals move into transitional and permanent housing, with the goal of long-term stability.”

The program is also meant to promote community-wide use of resources that address homelessness, improve data collection and performance measurement, etc. For a full description of the program and for additional information on eligibility and how to apply, visit the CoC Program webpage.

 

Learn more here

The U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs’ Grant and Per Diem Program

The VA’s Homeless Providers Grant and Per Diem Program is offered annually to provide funding to community agencies that provide services to homeless veterans, which includes building and providing housing, increasing veterans’ skill levels and/or income, helping homeless veterans get residential stability, and helping veterans have greater self-determination.

Only programs with supportive housing or service centers are eligible for this funding, and there are two levels of funding: the Grant Component and Per Diem Component.

The Grant Component: This funding is used for costs of acquiring, constructing, or renovating buildings for use as service centers or transitional housing for homeless veterans. Only 65% of the costs can be funded by these grants, leaving the other 35% to be matched by other funding sources.

The Per Diem Component: This funding can be used to pay for operational costs, including salaries. The maximum amount payable is $41.90 per day per veteran housed for supportive housing.

For additional information on the rules and eligibility requirements for the Grant and Per Diem Program, visit their webpage.

 

Remember, we are here to help you in any way that we can. It’s always free to ask one of our grant experts a question, or you can contact us for a free consultation on how we can help you secure more grant funding.

Grant Writer

 

Image credit: Tony Waghorn, theeruditefrog

Topics: great resources, grant annoucement, community development, community development grant, homelessness grants, grant notification, homeless shelter grants

Alisyn Franzen

Written by Alisyn Franzen

Subscribe to Email Updates

Lists by Topic

see all

Posts by Topic

see all

Recent Posts