Update: The COPS Secure Our Schools 2011 grant program is now closed. Still looking for grant funding? Contact a grant helper.
The Department of Justice has just released the 2011 grant guidelines for the Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS) Secure our Schools grants. The COPS Secure our Schools grant will provide an estimated $13 million in federal grant funding to applicant schools, and the grants will cover up to 50% of the cost of a school safety initiative. Acceptable projects include:
- The purchasing and installation of deterrent measures, such as metal detectors, alarm systems, or outdoor lighting on school property
- Security and safety training for school staff
- An anti-violence initiative
- A security assessment
- Coordination with local law enforcement
Schools apply in conjunction with their local law enforcement, and applicants are required to provide a 50% local cash match to cover the non-federal half of the project funding. Other COPS Secure our Schools grant information:
- Applicants must address how their project fulfills the three primary elements of community policing: 1.) community partnerships, 2.) problem solving, and 3.) organizational transformation.
- Applicant schools must have completed a security assessment within the past three years, or plan to complete one during the funding period of the grant.
- Applicants are required to gather input on their proposed project from other related professionals, in addition to local law enforcement. Suggested professionals include school violence researches, child psychologists, social workers, teachers, principals and other school personnel.
In 2010, a total of 167 COPS Secure Our Schools grants were awarded, ranging from $1,200 to $499,286 - coming in at just under $16 million in federal grant funding.
The school safety grant applications will be accepted starting on May 2nd, 2011, with two deadlines. Schools wishing to be given priority consideration for their grant proposals are advised to apply by the May 25th deadline. The final deadline for this school safety-related grant will be June 8th, 2011.