The U.S. Department of Justice’s largest Community Oriented Policing Services program is now accepting applications. The COPS Hiring Program (CHP) funds the hiring and rehiring of entry-level career law enforcement officers. Career law enforcement officers are those that are hired on a permanent basis for their jurisdiction. Correctional or jail offers are not eligible to be hired through this grant program. However, School Resource Officers are eligible to be hired by funds from this grant.
This program is extremely competitive and open to all state, local, and tribal law enforcement agencies with primary law enforcement authority. Grants are due June 23.
The goal of this program is to preserve jobs, increase community policing capacity, and support crime prevention efforts. Grants may be used in the following capacity:
- Hire new police officers, including filling vacancies that are no longer funded by the organization’s budget.
- Rehire police officers that have been laid off as a result of budget restrictions.
- Rehire police officers that are scheduled to be laid off by a specific future date.
Highlights for this year’s COPS Hiring Program:
- Funds the number of officer positions equal to 5% of actual sworn force strength (up to a maximum of 15 officers for agencies with a service population of less than 1 million, or up to a maximum of 25 officers for agencies with a service population of over 1 million).
- Provides 75% of the approved entry-level salaries and fringe benefits of each newly hired and/or rehired full-time officer, up to $125,000 per officer position, over the three year (36 month) grant period.
- Requires you to identify a specific crime and disorder problem/focus area and to explain how CHP funding will be used to implement community policing approaches to mitigate that problem/focus area.
- Requires applicants to choose a community policing problem or focus area for additional funding consideration. Choices are “Homicide/Gun Violence,” “School Based Policing through School Resource Officers,” “Building Trust,” and “Homeland Security.”
This is just one of the many COPS grant programs. Check out our past blog on the other COPS grants that are open for application now.
COPS grant programs are extremely competitive. With our expertise we can help you put the best proposal forward. Contact us today to get started.
Photo Credit: G20 Voice